Sunday, May 15, 2011

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

I've been meaning to start a blog for awhile, but I've put it off due to perceived "lack of time", as well as uncertainty as to what the focus for my blog would actually be. Recently, I decided that neither of those excuses really amounted to much. For one thing, I'm three weeks away from having a great deal more "free time" on my hands. I have a penchant for imposing structure on my "free time". It's a self-discipline thing; without structure (self-imposed or otherwise), I would probably just sit around watching Law and Order marathons and playing Angry Birds. Blogging seems somewhat more productive. Perhaps I will actually end up Publishing Something For Actual Pay (more on that in a later post, perhaps).

Some of you may be reading this and wondering what I plan to blog about. I have a couple of vague ideas. One is to reflect on my faith. There are a lot of great Christian and otherwise spiritual blogs out there. This will probably not be one of them, but I do want a chance to be very open and honest about exploring what it means to be a single Christian woman in America in 2011...or at least what that looks like from my perspective. I think it will be interesting to see whether or not my perspective is unique, or whether or not there are people out there in the blogosphere that can relate.

Another possibility: experiments in writing. I'm particularly intrigued by the emergence of the fourth genre (creative nonfiction). I also like humorous essays and pretty much anything from an unusual perspective or point of view. I may even experiment a bit with fiction, although I have yet to finish a short story that wouldn't make excellent kindling.

A cautionary note: since I'm brand new to this, please don't expect anything fancy. At least not for a few months or so. I've never been the bells and whistles sort, although I admire the way other people pull off the fancy-schmancy stuff. I prefer to paint a picture with my words (cue teacher voice).

Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks for reading. Please post feedback, constructive criticism, etc.

xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment